The ECE Current is the Electrical and Computer Engineering Department's yearly newsletter published in the Fall
If you would like to have future publications sent to you, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and enter "Newsletter Subscription" in the subject line. Include your name, mailing address, and email address.
ECE Current Fall 2013 (pdf)
"Celebrating a Legacy": "Herbert Kroemer Symposium" — a major invitation-only symposium at UCSB held in honor of Dr. Herbert Kroemer, Professor of ECE and Materials, Nobel Laureate in Physics in 2000, and a major contributor to the solid-state sciences.
Table of Contents
- Letter from Joao Hespanha, ECE Chair: financial stability; faculty, student & staff acknowledgements; academic programs
- News: 50 Years of Excellence - ECE's 50th Anniversary wrap up; Prof. John Schuller receives AFOSR Award; Prof. John Bowers named UCSB's 2013 Faculty Research Lecturer; Prof. Ron Iltis retires; Prof. Umesh Mishra named Donald W. Whittier Chair
- Spotlights: Alumni — Jeff Blokker (B.S. / M.S.); Faculty Q & A — Prof. John Bowers; Faculty Mentorship — Prof. Forrest Brewer
- Research: "Nanometer Transistors and III-V CMOS," Prof. Mark Rodwell; "High Dynamic Range (HDR) Imaging...," Prof. Pradeep Sen; "Optics Antenna Effects in Semiconductor Nanostructures...," Prof. Jon Schuller; "...Mobile Sensor Networks," Prof. Yasamin Mostofi; Robotics Lab — Prof. Katie Byl; Prof. Bob York's Wavestream a UC Top 25 Revenue Producing Invention
- Recognitions: In Remembrance — Roger Wood, Prof. Emeritus; Faculty Awards — Byl, Hespanha, Madhow/Rodwell, Mishra, Mostofi, Parhami, Rose, Schuller
ECE Current Fall 2012 (pdf)
"Celebrate the Transformation - 50 Years of ECE": "With a look back..." anniversary events, words of wisdom from alumnus, interview with faculty emeritus; "And a step forward..." look at current research, welcoming three new faculty, summary of new achievements.
Table of Contents
- Letter from the Jerry Gibson, ECE Chair: Interviews w/ alumnus Bobby Brar & Prof Petar Kokotovic; Welcome to 3 new faculty
- News: Prof Steve Denbaars elected to the National Academy of Engineering; ECE Celebrates 50 Years of Excellence!; Welcome New ECE Faculty - Assoc Profs Yasamin Mostofi (CSP) & Pradeep Sen (CSP) and Ass't Prof Jon Schuller (E&P); Prof Steve Butner Retires
- Spotlights: Q & A with Dr. Bobby Brar; Q & A with Prof Emeritus Petar Kokotovic; Student Spotlights - Award Winning Capstone Projects, Prof Jerry Gibson receives Pathways Grant, and the ECE Student Office
- Research: "Controlling the Phase of Light," Prof Larry Coldren; "Biosensing using a Quantum Mechanical Transducer," Prof Kaustav Banerjee
- Recognitions: 2011-12 Donors, In Memoriam - Harold Frank, Teaching Awards (Butner and Theogarajan), Faculty Awards (Banerjee, Bowers, Kokotovic, Lee, Mitra, Palmstrom, Rodwell, Theogarajan)
ECE Current Fall 2011 (pdf)
"3D High Dynamic Range Video Communications for Handhelds": Handheld devices and natural video communications using these devices are fast becoming the center of our connected lives. High speed wireless networks and multi-camera devices spur this evolution, yet the quality of mobile video communications is hindered. Research in ECE Prof. Jerry Gibson’s VivoNets Lab on high dynamic range (HDR) and 3D video uses signal processing to compensate for hardware limitations and video on handheld devices.
Table of Contents
- Letter from the Jerry Gibson, ECE Chair: NRC Top 5 Ranking; Undergraduate Education Goals; ECE 50th Anniversary
- News: Doluca Family Chair Endowment to Professor Mark Rodwell; New CoE Dean, Rod Alferness, joins ECE faculty
- Spotlights: Interview with alum Jeff Schlagetter; Q & A with alum Dr. David Wong; and Q & A with Prof Emeritus George Matthaei
- Research: Multi-Campus University Initiatives (MURI) - DRIFT (Mishra), DEFINE (Mishra), and Integrating CMOS with a novel RRAM technology in 3D circuits (Cheng and Strukov)
- Recognitions: 2010-11 Donors, 2011-12 Advisory board, NAE Members, Teaching Awards (Butner and Theogarajan), Faculty Awards (Byl, Gibson, Gossard, Theogarajan, Teel, Wang)
ECE Current Fall 2010 (pdf)
"60 GHz MIMO Prototype Demonstrates Line of Sight Spatial Multiplexing": The next order of magnitude jump in wireless communication will come from utilizing the 7 GHz of unlicensed bandwidth in the 60 GHz (“millimeter wave’’) band to reach multiGigabit speeds. Prof. U. Madhow (wireless communications) and Prof M. Rodwell (ultra high-speed electronics), in collaboration with Prof E. Belding (computer science) have assembled an interdisciplinary program to address the challenges in realizing this vision.
Table of Contents
- ECE Department Highlights: NRC Top 5 Rank; Nationally in the top 3 depts in terms of research expenditures per faculty FTE
- News: Theogarajan receives NIH New Innovator Award; Rodwell honored with Doluca Family Endowed Chair; Welcome New ECE Faculty - Assistant Professors Katie Byl (Controls) and Dmitri Strukov (CE)
- Spotlights: Q & A w/ alum Dennis Monticelli; Q&A w/ Prof Herb Kroemer; Student Spotlight - ECE188 A/B Capstone Sr Projects
- Research: "A Multidisciplinary Approach: Center for Energy Efficient Materials - CEEM (David Auston); " Control Over Communications Networks" (Prof Hespanha); "New Design Technologies for Flexible Electronics" (Prof Cheng)
- Recognitions: 2009-10 Donors; In Memoriam - Frank Ordung, ECE's first Chair; Teaching Awards (Butner and Theogarajan); Faculty Awards (Banerjee, Gibson, Hespanha, Parhami, Petroff, Teel)
ECE Current Fall 2009 (pdf)
"Sensing Space and Time": Professor Manjunath (CSP), in collaboration with ECE Profs Madhow (wireless communications and sensor networks), Rose (pattern recognition), Hespanha (controls), and CS and ME faculty, are setting up an expansive network of visual sensors on campus. The research will lead to a better understanding of human and animal behavior, new methods for visualization for large sensor networks, and maximizing energy efficiency through the development of building occupancy models.
Table of Contents
- Letter from the Jerry Gibson, ECE Chair: Greetings to the new ECE newsletter and Department highlights
- News: Prof Umesh Mishra elected to the National Academy of Engineering; John Bowers given Kavl Nanotechnologyi Chair; Doluca Family Endowed Chair established; Roger Wood Endowment - Letter from Dr. Isaac Barpal; Welcome New ECE Faculty - Assistant Professors Michael Liebling (CSP) and Luke Theogarajan (CE)
- Spotlights: Q & A with alum Dr. Yulun Wang; Q & A with Prof Emeritus Roger Wood; Student Group - Engineers without Borders
- Research: Energy Frontier Research Center Launched (CEEM), "Sensing Space and Time" (Prof Manjunath); Teaching lab facility updated; Nanofab facility and the community
- Recognitions: 2008-9 Donors; In Memoriam - Prof Glen Wade; Teaching Awards (Butner and York/Theogarajan); Faculty Awards (Banerjee, Bowers, Coldren, Gossard, Kokotovic, Liebling, Mitra, Rodwell, York)