Lab: Harold Frank Hall 4148
Hong (Herbert) Cai
Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering
University of California, Santa Barbara
M.S., University of California, Santa Barbara, 2015
B.Eng., Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, 2013
Email: hcai [at] ece.ucsb.edu
I am currently a 4th year Ph.D. student under the supervision of Prof. Yasamin Mostofi. My
main research interest is human-robot collaborations. I study different aspects of human-robot collaborations, in particular, I would like to equip robots with the ability of predicting human performance given
a task. This will allow the robots to ask for human help when humans can indeed be of help, making more efficient and effective human-robot collaborations.
- Human-Robot Collaborations [project page]
- Communication-Aware Robotic Operations
- Machine Learning
Released Data and Code for Predicting Human Visual Performance:
We have made publicly available our data and code for predicting human visual performance using machine learning, which is developed in our RSS16 paper. For more details, please check out the data and code site.
- H. Cai and Y. Mostofi, "When Human Visual Performance is Imperfect - How to Optimize the Collaboration between One
Human Operator and Multiple Field Robots," Trends in Control and Decision-Making for Human-Robot Collaboration
Systems (Y. Wang and F. Zhang (Eds.)), Springer.
- H. Cai and Y. Mostofi, "A Human-Robot Collaborative Traveling Salesman Problem: Robotic Site Inspection with Human Assistance," American Control Conference (ACC), July 2016.
- U. Ali, H. Cai, Y. Mostofi and Y. Wardi, "Motion and Communication Co-Optimization with Path Planning and Online Channel Estimation," American Control Conference (ACC), July 2016.
- H. Cai and Y. Mostofi, "Asking for Help with the Right Question by Predicting Human Visual Performance," Robotics: Science and Systems (RSS), June 2016. [project page][data and models] (acceptant rate: 20.6%)
- H. Cai and Y. Mostofi, "To Ask or Not to Ask: A Foundation for the Optimization of Human-Robot Collaborations," American Control Conference (ACC), July 2015.
Prof. Yasamin Mostofi's Homepage
Electrical & Computer Engineering at UCSB