Photos for your Spotlight
Unfortunately since the campus photographer is not available, you will have to do your photos on your own. You can take your photos with a tripod/timer or ask a family member or roommate or your dog/cat to help you.
Examples of Photos
Check out the spotlights photos on the Home pages of the both the ECE & CE websites and click on them to see another example of what the student sent me.
Two Types of Photos Needed
1) "At Work" Photos
Some ideas include:
- in your workspace or lab
- watching a remote class
- zooming with classmates/advisor
- a zoom photo of you with the cool background that you made
- or whatever you think might be interesting
* Note: photos with a computer monitor in it - make sure to have something showing on the screen
2) "Portrait-Like" Photos
- portrait photos of you standing that are either full-length or from the hips up (my plan is to crop at least one of these photos that will include your chest and above)
- in some of the photos, it would be nice if you are holding your computer, a book or a project of some sort, etc. Outside photos are the best.
* Note: see "Portrait-Like Cropped" at the bottom of this page
- Amount of Photos: send quite a few portrait AND work photos so I have more to work with
- Clothing & Background DO Matter:
- colorful top (white, beige and blue are not very good)
- a tidy up your work space or wherever you take the photos
- accessories (backpacks, skateboards, etc are awesome!)
- backgrounds are super important- a white wall or plain is not good. Make it interesting!
- Presence: look towards camera; show confidence; relax... you get it ; )
- Landscape Scale and Cropping:
- almost all of the photos on the websites' main pages are in "landscape scale"
- take photo further away than closer - that way I have the ability to crop them as needed
- Be Unique and Creative: if you notice, the examples of photos that have been sent to me in the past are all basically the same -- feel free to try take something different than e.g., you sitting at your desk
Some of my Recent Favorites
Sent to me from students
"At Work" Examples
A good example of a "further away" photo that was then cropped by ME
Originals before cropping by ME for image "ribbon" below: