We have developed a novel integration platform that conveniently merges InP and GaAs devices with SiPh in a backend processing step. Light is coupled between layers using grating couplers and total internal reflection (TIR) turning mirrors. This integration platform enables laser integration for silicon photonics and multi-chip photonic interposers. An important feature is superior heat dissipation that yields a 3X improvement in thermal impedance compared to other approaches. In addition to being featured in the OSA Optics and Photonics News magazine, this work was twice selected as a finalist for the Tingye Li Innovation Prize and was recognized with a best paper award at the 2017 Asia Communications and Photonics Conference.
Selected Relevant Publications:
- “3D Integrated Hybrid Silicon Laser,” Optics Express, vol. 24, no. 10, pp. 10435-10444, 2016.
- “High-Thermal-Performance 3D Hybrid Silicon Lasers,” Photonics Technology Letters, vol. 28, no. 14, pp. 1143-1146, 2017.
- “Tunable 3D Integrated Hybrid Silicon Laser,” Asia Communications and Photonics Conference (ACP), paper Su3L.3, 2017.
- “Tunable 3D hybrid integrated silicon photonic external cavity laser,” Integrated Photonics Research, Silicon and Nanophotonics Conference (IPR), paper ITu3B.3, 2016.
- “Thermal Performance of 3D Integrated Silicon Laser,” Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics (CLEO), 2017.
- “3D Integrated Silicon Photonic External Cavity Laser,” Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics (CLEO), paper SM4G.5, 2016.
- “3D Integrated Hybrid Silicon Laser,” European Conference on Optical Communication (ECOC), paper We2.5.5, 2015.
- “3D Integrated Silicon Photonic External Cavity Laser (SPECL),” IEEE Photonics Conference, paper Tue3.2, 2014.
Collaborators: McGill Institute for Advanced Materials, BinOptics