Computer Engineering Capstone Projects
ECE 189A/B/C is a year-long capstone project course sequence in which Computer Engineering (CE) senior students at UC Santa Barbara design and implement an embedded computer system. Working in small groups of three to five, the teams draw on the strengths of each member, and projects are intended to be the culmination of the students' undergraduate education, incorporating both significant hardware and software components and, in some cases, mechanical components as well. CE Capstone Projects offer students real-world experience in the lifespan of developing an embedded system: identifying a problem, designing to required specifications, managing budgets and printed circuit board fabrication, and delivering their finished product on time. CE capstone projects fall into several categories:
- Student defined: Students come up with the design idea on their own.
- Industry sponsored: Industry partner specifies a design challenge.
- Research group: Research group at UCSB poses a design challenge.
- Competitions: Students enter as contestants in an organized competition.
- Nonprofit organizations: Projects that can be of use for nonprofit organizations.
Lead sponsor of CE capstone program: Qualcomm
Thanks to our lead sponsor Qualcomm and our 2018-2019 project sponsors: Aerovironment, LGS Innovations, Arthrex, Toyon, Arveng Technologies, Laritech, NASA, IEA Lab, Sunstone and Vast Circuits.