Lab: Harold Frank Hall 4148
Hong (Herbert) Cai
Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering
University of California, Santa Barbara
M.S., University of California, Santa Barbara, 2015
B.Eng., Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, 2013
Email: hcai [at] ece.ucsb.edu
I am currently a 5th year Ph.D. student under the supervision of Prof. Yasamin Mostofi. My main research interest is human-robot collaborations. First, I study how to learn and predict human performance and response by utilizing collected large-scale human data and machine learning techniques. Such human predictions are then incorporated into the optimization of the robot's decision-making, which improves the overall effectiveness of the human-robot collaboration. In addition, I am also interested in robotic planning problems where the robot's various actions (e.g., sensing, motion, and communication) are jointly optimized and planned.
Paper Repository on Human-Robot Collaboration
We have compiled a paper repository to provide a comprehensive overview of the state-of-the-art of different aspects of human-robot collaboration. Please check out the repository for more details.
Released Data and Code for Predicting Human Visual Performance:
We have made publicly available our data and code for predicting human visual performance using machine learning, which is developed in our RSS16 paper. For more details, please check out the data and code site.
- U. Ali, H. Cai, Y. Mostofi and Y. Wardi, "Motion-Communication Co-optimization with Cooperative Load Transfer in Mobile Robotics: an Optimal Control Perspective," IEEE Transactions on Control of Network Systems, accepted with minor revision.
- E.Prashnani*, H. Cai*, Y. Mostofi, and Pradeep Sen, "PieAPP: Perceptual Image-Error Assessment through Pairwise Preference," IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR), June 2018. [supplementary material]
- H. Cai and Y. Mostofi, "A Human-Robot Collaborative Traveling Salesman Problem: Robotic Site Inspection with Human Assistance," American Control Conference (ACC), July 2016.
- U. Ali, H. Cai, Y. Mostofi and Y. Wardi, "Motion and Communication Co-Optimization with Path Planning and Online Channel Estimation," American Control Conference (ACC), July 2016.
- H. Cai and Y. Mostofi, "Asking for Help with the Right Question by Predicting Human Visual Performance," Robotics: Science and Systems (RSS), June 2016. [project page][data and models] (acceptant rate: 20.6%)
- H. Cai and Y. Mostofi, "To Ask or Not to Ask: A Foundation for the Optimization of Human-Robot Collaborations," American Control Conference (ACC), July 2015.
Prof. Yasamin Mostofi's Homepage
Electrical & Computer Engineering at UCSB