Lab: Harold Frank Hall 4148
Hong (Herbert) Cai
Ph.D. Candidate [CV]
Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering
University of California, Santa Barbara
M.S., University of California, Santa Barbara, 2015
B.Eng., Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, 2013
Email: hcai [at] ece.ucsb.edu
I am currently a final-year Ph.D. student under the supervision of Prof. Yasamin Mostofi. My research is at the intersection of robot decision-making (e.g., path planning), visual understanding and machine learning/deep learning.
Paper Repository on Human-Robot Collaboration
We have compiled a paper repository to provide a comprehensive overview of the state-of-the-art of different aspects of human-robot collaboration. Please check out the repository for more details.
Released Data and Code for Predicting Human Visual Performance:
We have made publicly available our data and code for predicting human visual performance using machine learning, which is developed in our RSS16 paper. For more details, please check out the data and code site.
- H. Cai and Y. Mostofi, "When Human Visual Performance is Imperfect - How to Optimize the Collaboration between One Human Operator and Multiple Field Robots," Trends in Control and Decision-Making for Human-Robot Collaboration
Systems (Y. Wang and F. Zhang (Eds.)), Springer, 2017. [pdf]
- H. Cai and Y. Mostofi, "Exploiting Object Similarity for Robotic Visual Recogntion," IEEE Transactions on Robotics, 2020, accepted to appear.
- H. Cai and Y. Mostofi, "Human-Robot Collaborative Site Inspection under Resource Constraints," IEEE Transactions on Robotics, 2018. [pdf]
- U. Ali, H. Cai, Y. Mostofi, and Y. Wardi, "Motion-Communication Co-optimization with Cooperative Load Transfer in Mobile Robotics: An Optimal Control Perspective," IEEE Transactions on Control of Network Systems, 2018. [pdf]
- B. Korany*, C. R. Karanam*, H. Cai*, and Y. Mostofi, "XModal-ID: Using WiFi for Through-Wall Person Identification from Candidate Video Footage," ACM International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking (MobiCom), 2019. [pdf][project page][slides] (acceptance rate: 19.0%)
- E.Prashnani*, H. Cai*, Y. Mostofi, and P. Sen, "PieAPP: Perceptual Image-Error Assessment through Pairwise Preference," IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR), 2018. [pdf][supplementary material][project page] (acceptance rate: 29.6%)
- H. Cai and Y. Mostofi, "Asking for Help with the Right Question by Predicting Human Visual Performance," Robotics: Science and Systems (RSS), 2016. [pdf][project page][data and models] (acceptance rate: 20.6%)
- H. Cai and Y. Mostofi, "A Human-Robot Collaborative Traveling Salesman Problem: Robotic Site Inspection with Human Assistance," American Control Conference (ACC), 2016. [pdf]
- U. Ali, H. Cai, Y. Mostofi, and Y. Wardi, "Motion and Communication Co-Optimization with Path Planning and Online Channel Estimation," American Control Conference (ACC), 2016. [pdf]
- H. Cai and Y. Mostofi, "To Ask or Not to Ask: A Foundation for the Optimization of Human-Robot Collaborations," American Control Conference (ACC), 2015.[pdf]
- Co-organized invited session "Human-Robot Collaborations: Opportunities and Challenges" at ACC 2016 (served as session chair)
- Reviewed for T-RO, RA-L, L-CSS, TSP, TMC, J-SAC, IEEE Access, RSS, ICRA, IROS, CDC, ACC, CASE, SMC, ITSC, IV, Globecom, CoDIT
Prof. Yasamin Mostofi's Homepage
Electrical & Computer Engineering at UCSB