CE Research Activities
Activities & faculty include but are not limited to:
- Bio / Brain Inspired Computing
Emerging approach utilizing principles of biology and neuroscience to develop intelligent computing systems — Faculty
- Computer Arch. / System Level Design
Science and engineering of interconnecting digital systems blocks to design next generation computing systems — Faculty
- Electronic Design Automation / System Verif.
Combines theories in computation and modeling to develop automation tools for designing the next gen. of complex electronic design — Faculty
- Emerging Technologies for Computing
Exploring the next generation of computing utilizing non Von Neumann architectures, in memory computing and computing using novel memory devices — Faculty
- Machine Learning / Neuromorphic Computing / AI
Novel architectures, algorithms, devices and techniques for AI including machine learning and neuroscience inspired architectures — Faculty
Exploiting the physics at the nanoscale for developing advanced devices for computing, sensing and signal processing — Faculty
- VLSI Design / Circuits & Sys. / Signal Process.
Design principles and techniques for developing complex integrated circuits and systems — Faculty
CE Research Overview
Computer engineering research at UCSB spans a wide spectrum of topics, from devices and integrated circuits to software systems and applications. Computer architecture, which is central to the efforts aimed at improving the performance, cost-effectiveness, and energy efficiency of computing systems, is a key focal point.
The computer engineering faculty at UCSB conduct collaborative, multidisciplinary projects that allow students and other participants to engage in practically motivated, state-of-the-art research problems. There is an intense focus on industrial relevance and on the impact of emerging technologies on computing.
For more detailed descriptions of faculty research and activities, please visit the CE Research Activities accordions in the box.
CE UCSB Affiliations
- American Institute for Manufacturing of Photonics (AIM) – Theogarajan
- California Nanosystems Institute (CNSI) – Strukov
- Institute for Energy Efficiency (IEE) – Banerjee, Brewer, Strukov, Theogarajan, Zhang