Current Students

Top 5 Questions

Who do I contact if I have curriculum questions?

To receive a Electrical Engineering degree from UCSB, students must satisfy three sets of requirements: major, college, and university. As a first point of reference for curriculum questions, go to the EE Curriculum webpage. For additional questions, contact the following:

  • MAJOR (Electrical Engineering degree requirements): ECE Student Affairs Office - Trailer 380, Rm 101, 105 | OR
  • COLLEGE (College of Engineering general education requirements): College of Engineering Office of Undergraduate Studies - Harold Frank Hall, Room 1006 | (805) 893-2809 |
  • UNIVERSITY (UC, Santa Barbara general education requirements): College of Engineering Office of Undergraduate Studies - Harold Frank Hall, Room 1006 | (805) 893-2809 |

Not sure? Contact the ECE Student Affairs Office - Trailer 380, Rm 101, 105 | OR

How can I change to the EE major from another major?

First, consult with the EE & CE Academic Advisor and review the College of Engineering requirements. Then, students may petition to enter the electrical engineering major when the requirements below are met.

  1. An overall UCSB grade point average of at least 3.0.
  2. Satisfactory completion at UCSB, with a grade point average of 3.0 or better, of at least five classes, including at least two mathematics classes, from the following: Mathematics 4B, Math 6A, Math 6B, ECE 10A-B-C and 10AL-BL-CL, ECE 15A. The calculation of the minimum G.P.A. will be based on all classes completed from this list at the time of petitioning.

Acceptance into the major will be based on UC grade point averages, applicable courses completed, and space availability. All students considering changing majors into Electrical Engineering are required to meet with the EE & CE Academic Advisor during their first year. It is highly recommended that the EE and CE curriculum is followed to be best prepared to switch to the EE or CE major, concurrently keeping a back-up major plan if the department is not able to accommodate your request to change majors to EE or CE.

The class I want to take is full - what can I do to get in it?
  • For ECE classes, see the ECE Student Affairs Office in Trailer 380, Room 101 | OR
  • For other department classes, contact the department's undergraduate advisor
Interested in the BS/MS Program?

BS/MS options available for Electrical Engineering undergraduates:

Applications for the BS/MS in ECE are usually due at the end of the spring quarter of the junior year. As this is an accelerated program, it is expected that all of the required courses for the EE major are completed including all of the junior required courses. GRE exams are not required to apply.

To check the status of a BS/MS application in ECE, contact Saixious Dominguez, ECE Graduate Admissions Coordinator

How can I find the 4 Year Course Plan according to my year of entrance?

Also, the ECE Student Affairs Office has print copies of past 4 Year Plans and the COE GEAR has online versions from the most current year to 2012-13.

More Questions

How do I stay up-to-date on deadlines, announcements, and notifications such as internships and job opportunities?

Check your email daily.

What is the minimum grade that I must have to pass my ECE core classes?

All required math and computer science classes require a minimum grade of a C to meet prerequisites for later classes in ECE. For all other courses taken at UCSB, a letter grade of D- or better is considered passing but may be insufficient for use as prerequisites for future courses. Students must maintain a minimum 2.0 GPA in the major, upper division, and overall to meet graduation requirements.

I am having difficulties registering for a class even though I meet the prerequisites - what should I do?

For ECE courses, visit the ECE Student Affairs Office in Trailer 380, Room 101, 105 or email OR

For other departments, contact the department's undergraduate advisor. You may have reached the Maximum units allowed for the pass time.

I want to take an ECE course but the prerequisites have changed - what should I do?

You will need to take the new prerequisites. Students are responsible for any updates or changes in prerequisites. Check with the ECE Student Affairs Office or the UCSB General Catalog regularly for updates and changes in curriculum.

Where can Electrical Engineers get career information?

UCSB Career Services holds career fairs and recruiting events. In addition, they offer resume preparation/review services, interview skill tips, career advising and access to jobs, internships and employers.

The College of Engineering has an excellent Internships and Careers webpage that helps undergraduates and graduate students locate jobs and internships.

Also, review "PayScale College Salary Report - Highest Paying Bachelor Degrees by Salary Potential".

Are there Internship and Job Opportunities available for EE students?

Santa Barbara and the Goleta area are known as being a part of the technology corridor between Los Angeles and San Francisco. Many technology companies are located in our area and contact us seeking students who are interested in participating in internship and employment opportunities. The ECE Student Office regularly sends out email notifications to students about these opportunities.

Students are also advised to initiate direct contact with companies and to discuss internship and employment interests with faculty members since many have their own research labs and also have contact with local industry.

UCSB Career Services has an official website for jobs, internships, and campus interviews called Handshake. In addition, Handshake serves as a gateway to subscription services that are free for UCSB students. Also, check out the College of Engineering's Internships and Careers web page that has information about careers, internships (research and industry), and networking opportunities.

Career Events occur throughout the year and are a great opportunity to see which companies are looking for interns. This is also an excellent chance to network for employment after graduation.

How can I learn about Research Opportunities?

The College of Engineering's Undergraduate Research Opportunities web page has information such as How & When to Get Started, Research Programs and more.

Also, consult directly with ECE faculty members who have similar interests as you and they can steer you in the right direction. Both faculty personal research interests and department research activities are available on the ECE Department's website Faculty pages

How can I learn more about ECE's Teaching Cleanroom?

The Teaching Cleanroom (TCR) is utilized by the ECE, MAT and ME departments for microfabrication courses. In the TCR, students fabricate and characterize semiconductor devices. The facility is for teaching and training-related activities only.

Learn More About the TCR

Can I participate in the University of California's Education Abroad Program (EAP)?

Yes - the UCSB Office of the Education Abroad Program is dedicated to making the experience of such study available to as many qualified UCSB students as possible. EAP allows students to continue to progress toward their degrees while living and studying in some of the best academic institutions around the world.

For more information about EAP, contact the College of Engineering liaison, Frances Fouch -

Can I participate in the UCSB Technology Management program?

UCSB Technology Management (TM) is a multidisciplinary field of science that examines the opportunities and challenges of technological innovation, industry disruption, and organizational change, and their influence on business performance and competitive advantage.

The TM program's students explore the world of work through research-based, theoretical, and experiential learning and one or more academic pathways: Ph.D. in Technology Management, Master of Technology Management, New Venture Program and Competition, and UC-recognized Undergraduate Certificate in Technology Management and Graduate Program in Management Practice (GPMP Certificate).

TM invites innovative students across UCSB to immerse themselves in hands-on entrepreneurial education and mentorship through the New Venture Program. The UCSB New Venture Program and Competition has helped launch several EE senior year projects into their next phase of development.

What is the advantage of the combined Bachelor of Science / Master of Science degree program?

EE students may obtain both a Bachelor of Science degree and a Master of Science degree in Electrical and Computer Engineering by taking applicable courses during their senior year. Students interested in the BS/MS Program may apply in the Spring quarter of their junior year after they have taken their junior level courses for the BS/MS program in ECE. Please see the ECE Student Office for more information.

 Question for an Undergrad Advisor?

Fill out the inquiry form: ECE Undergrad Student Affairs Inquiries

Important Info for 2023-24

Junior Meeting Presentation

EE Junior Meeting Powerpoint Presentation (pdf)

EE Faculty Advisor Assignments

2023-24 Academic Year

A-Z based on student‘s last name and advisors subject to change each academic year

  • A-C:  Dr. Ben-Yaacov
  • D-G:  Prof. Alizadeh
  • H-J:  Prof. Byl
  • K-L:  Prof. S. Smith
  • M-N:  Prof. Rodwell
  • O-P:  Prof. Gibson
  • Q-S:  Prof. Schow
  • T-W:  Prof. Manjunath
  • X-Z:  Prof. Hespanha

ECE Undergrad Student Affairs Office

Office Hours: Weekdays 9:00 am – 12:00 pm & 1:00 – 4:00 pm
Office Location: Trailer 380, Room 101, 105

Officers and Staff Contacts
  • Luke Theogarajan – ECE Professor, Vice Chair & Undergrad Director
  • Erika Klukovich – SAO Manager
    office: Trailer 697, Rm 101
  • Beth English – Undergraduate Advisor
    office: Trailer 380, Rm 105
  • Joanna Villalobos
    office: Trailer 380, Rm 101

Have a question for an Undergraduate Advisor? Fill out the form for ECE Undergrad Student Affairs Inquiries

What Does Each Office Support?

ECE Student Affairs Office

  • Information on ECE Courses
  • Changing major to CE
  • ECE Exceptions (Course Substitutions)
  • Non-EE Majors Who Want to Take ECE Courses
  • EE Advisor Assignments
  • EE Senior Elective Form
  • EE Major Progress Checks
  • EE Course Scheduling and Planning

Trailer 380, Rm 101, 105 | OR

COE Undergraduate Affairs Office

  • General Education Requirements
  • Graduation Requirements
  • EE / CE Degree Clearance
  • Petition for Graduation Matters
  • Late Add/Drop Exceptions
  • Academic Probation
  • UCSB/COE Exceptions (course substitutions other than ECE)
  • Education Abroad Program (EAP)
  • Transfer Students

Harold Frank Hall, Rm 1006 | 805.893.2809 |

ECE Form Center

NEW! Online Form: Petition to Add an ECE Course for Non-Majors (POM) – form is available here in:

Paper Forms:

NOTE: EE Senior Elective Sheet – for earlier plans than 2016-17, contact the ECE Student Affairs Office

Curriculum Info